The Wassenaar Arrangement conducts a variety of outreach activities aimed at encouraging broad adoption of WA standards and promoting effective national export control systems.
Usually the Wassenaar Arrangement organizes two annual collective outreach events for interested outreach partners:
- Post-Plenary Briefing on the results of the annual Plenary meeting. The Plenary agrees on a list of invitees for such briefings to be arranged by the Secretariat.
- Enhanced Technical Briefing on changes to the Wassenaar Arrangement Control Lists and related issues. This event is normally organized to facilitate participation by Wassenaar Arrangement technical experts and licensing and enforcement officers in order to encourage expert exchanges and the sharing of practical implementation experience.
The Wassenaar Arrangement also conducts outreach dialogue with individual countries and from time to time may undertake bilateral outreach visits upon invitation from an interested country, as agreed by the Wassenaar Arrangement Plenary.
The WA Secretariat interacts on a regular basis with a variety of international and regional organisations engaged in related activities. In addition, the Arrangement has contacts with other export control regimes on specific control list issues of a technical nature.
Other activities to raise awareness of the Wassenaar Arrangement’s work include seminars, workshops and participation in international conferences in various parts of the world which often include representatives from industry and academia, as well as governments. A number of Wassenaar Arrangement Participating States also undertake export controls-related outreach on a national basis, including by organizing events aimed at engagement with countries in specific regions.
If a country would like to participate in Wassenaar Arrangement outreach activities, it should officially register its interest through the current Plenary Chair or the WA Secretariat.
- Role of the Wassenaar Arrangement in a Rapidly Changing Technological Environment – Presentation by Head of Secretariat to 5th International Defence Technology Security Conference, Seoul, 20 June 2018
- Wassenaar Arrangement – Transparency and Effectiveness in Regulating International Transfers of Conventional Arms – Presentation by Head of Secretariat to International Seminar on Strategic Export Controls, Islamabad, 10 May 2018
- OSCE Training Course – Visit to WA Premises, Vienna, 14 Feb. 2018
Recent published interview:
- Jane’s Defence Weekly, 23 August 2017
Please visit the Control Lists page to see the Munitions section of the Wassenaar Arrangement’s Control List document.